Wednesday 23 May 2012

Sunny Nelson


My three extended stays in Hawaii have produced some amazing friendships with people from all parts of the world. If you have ever traveled you know that whenever you leave somewhere its pretty common to say to your new friends, “Hey, if ever you’re in Canada look me up.” While you hope to see your friends from abroad again you know that as a general rule you probably won’t. It sucks, but it is true.

One friend that has continually broken this rule is my friend Claire. I met Claire on my first trip to Oahu and since then she has visited me in Ottawa and even joined my brother and I on a backpacking trip through Europe - along with some other Hawaii friends. I knew heading to NZ that a stop at Claire’s house in Nelson would be very necessary. I've looked forward to this stop for a long time.

Our weekend Nelson was a ton of fun. On Saturday, Claire and her sister Julia showed us an amazing time. We toured the beaches around Able Tazman National Park, ate fejoas, attended a professional New Zealand League Basketball game, and partied the night away in Downtown Nelson.

The next day, despite our screaming hangovers, we still managed to hike to the centre of New Zealand and feast on a couple of delicious meat pies in the afternoon. That evening we took Claire and her sister out for dinner to thank them for an amazing time.

One Monday we bid farewell to Claire and her sister with the standard, “Hey, if ever you’re in Canada look me up.” knowing that at least this time there was some truth to that statement.

Claire and Me at Abel Tazman

Dex Make's the Jump

Sunset in Nelson



No comments:

Post a Comment