Wednesday 23 May 2012

Westcoast


If surfing scared me in Kaikoura, surfing the rugged West Coast terrified me – to the point that I didn’t get in. Seriously, even with the Internet sites forecasting perfect swell and wind ratings the place was incredibly absent of surfers, and other people for that matter. The vistas here are amazing and remain very untouched and spectacular - but what could you expected given the no gas for 90km sign that we saw.

Mike and I spent the day searching the stretch of highway from Westport to Greymouth in an effort, that by the end the day, was less about finding a wave and more about finding some other lost souls to surf with.

I have done a bit of surf exploring in Canada and I have been fortunate to surf some fairly intense waves in Hawaii, but to be honest, with the exception of some of the biggest days in Hawaii, I have never been so scared to get in the water than I was today. It’s a eerily thing paddling out to an unknown break with only the comfort of your friend on shore and the distant support of an unknown community many miles away. While I did see some pretty nice waves I just couldn’t bring myself to get in and surf them. It’s kind of disappointing but I’m just not confident enough in my own abilities at this to take on that risk.

Glassy

Kiwi

Whoops

Thanks for the tow.

Fox Creek

Pancake rocks.


No comments:

Post a Comment