Sunday 29 January 2012

This weekend...

The surf last Saturday was massive. So big that on Saturday pretty much every break on the North Shore was closing out. The beaches looked like a big mixing pot of whitewash. The only spots working were Waimea Bay and outer reef spots like Avalanches and Phantoms which are mainly tow-in spots. Even the conditions at Pipeline were so unruly that they post-poned the Volcom Pro until Sunday.

Avalanches - one of the many outer reef spots going off. 

Here are some highlights of my weekend:

Friday Night - Open Mic at at Universe Juice. My friend Nick and Cleo both played and both were really good. Nick got everyone up dancing and Cleo had a really cool bluesy sound. 

Saturday Morning - No surfing because the swell was too big to form rideable waves. So crazy to see the ocean so wild. 

Late Saturday Morning - Watch the opening round of the of the Volcom Pro at Pipeline until it was cancelled at mid-day. Click Here

Saturday Afternoon - Run into my shaper Jeff Bushman on the North Shore bike path and finally give him the Maple Syrop and SBC Surf Magazine I brought for him. My boards are awesome!

Late Saturday Afternoon - On the advice of Jeff I decided to check out a wave near Pu'ena Point. After watching it break for close to an hour I decide to paddle out. This wave was a massive bowling right and up close it was bigger than anything I have ever seen from in the water. After studying the wave from the line up I took off on a set wave. The drop down seemed to take forever and after rounding my bottom turn and looking up at the lip I can honestly say that this wave was the biggest wave of my life. After riding that wave I decided that it would probably be best not to push my luck so I paddled in and sat in my car for about thirty minutes literally shaking with adrenaline.

Sunday Morning - The waves were down and I surfed Ali'i's with Cleo. I tried out my GoPro but I was having trouble with it fogging up. Here are some shots before it got too foggy to shoot.

 Going Left
My morning commute. That's a banana on the dash.
One of many bails.






No comments:

Post a Comment