Sunday 22 January 2012

Work / Surf

I'm finally getting settled in and I feel like I've finally got a good routine going with the addition of my very stylish Chevy Tracker.  I've been able to surf everyday at least once and I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of surfing in Hawaii... if that is ever possible. I'll break this post up into two parts. Work and surf.

Work


I've been helping out at Camp Erdman in the maintenance department. Camp Erdman is a YMCA camp located on North Shore. It's an amazing spot out in the country and I'm really happy to be helping out Mark and Brenda who are the couple who run the department. Mark and Brenda are some of the most caring people I have ever met and everyday is a learning experience. Mark is truly a renaissance man and can fix just about anything. Over the past few weeks Mark has taught me how to change the oil in my car, install oil and air filters, install a bath tub, drywall a house and lay the foundation for a house among other things.

Surf


There is a reason the surf magazines call the North Shore the proving grounds.  The surf here is always big and powerful and the sharp reef is never more than a few feet below. Throw in a frothing and very talent surf population and you've got one of the most challenging, but also rewarding surf experiences imaginable.

If I told you I was ripping it up I would most be defiantly be lying. Most days out aren't without a couple reef cuts and sometime taking serious amounts of water up my nose when I get caught on the inside. That said I have also had a few solid rides and even a few barrels.

Over the past few weeks I've had the chance to surf some famous breaks like Rocky Point, Sunset Beach, Haleiwa Ali'i Beach Park and Laniakea's ... however I've put the most time in at Ali'i's.





3 comments:

  1. John, glad to see everything is coming together for you and you're enjoying your experience. Loving the blog - Catch a barrel for me - Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nick.. you must be pumped for Costa soon.. make sure to get some solid pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries JG. Costa in ten days - I'm pumped. Cameras loaded and i'm ready to go. Surf wont be as good as the north shore, but I'm super pumped regardless! Best, Nick

    ReplyDelete